[sane-devel] Lost with udev and sane

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Mon Mar 16 17:51:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:24:06 +0100
Oliver Schwartz <Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de> wrote:

> You don't need to create any '/dev/usb/scanner' device, nor should you
> specify the scanner device in snapscan.conf. Your scanner will be
> detected automatically provided that the USB ID is listed in
> snapscan.conf, which should be the case for the snapscan 1212 on any
> standard sane installation.

Oliver,

Thanks for the help. I found the problem... installed udev was version
111, which apparently creates the devices in the /dev/bus/usb directory,
but not with the %03d/%03d format as expected by Sane
(which looks for /dev/bus/usb/002/002-like devices)

I compiled and installed udev 140, which caused a couple of other
headaches, but the devices were now correct in /dev/bus/usb. All is
working correctly now. And I learned a lot about udev too, ;-)

John