[sane-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New release of Image Scan! for Linux (2.18.0)

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Thu Mar 19 04:26:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thanks for following up.

 > On this occasion a minor thing, I noted that the 64 bit
 > iscan-network-nt.rpm doesn't install properly (at least on Opensuse
 > 11.1) - there has a link to be set manually from
 > /usr/lib/iscan/network to /usr/lib64/iscan/.
Thanks for this info.

 > The log files say there is no network scanner recognized. On one
 > machine a "SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=HEX iscan 2> log" only produced an empty
 > file
Could this be because you were using the scanner via the net backend,
instead of epkowa?

 > And in the epkowa.desc coming with iscan 2.18.0 there is a line with
 > the GT-2500 saying: "network interface not supported<br>overseas
 > version of the ES-H300" - Maybe the GT-2500 really isn't supported.
Yes, as Olaf said, the GT-2500 *might* work with the network plugin, but
we haven't tried it. If we get enough feedback indicating it works, then
we may update that documentation.

 > Anyway - flatbed scanning works fine via network. And on the machine
 > the GT-2500 is connected to directly it works fully featured ADF
 > simplex and duplex. So it's not a dramatic fault.
It sounds like you are using saned for scanning over the network. We
have recently found the bug that is causing ADF to be disabled in this
scenario, and believe we have fixed it. A new version of iscan with this
fixed should hopefully be released soon.

I think there is some confusion though. There are now two ways to use
scanners over the network with epkowa:
1) scanner connected via USB to a networked computer
2) scanner connected directly to the network

For 1), you use saned and do NOT need the network plugin. For 2), you
need the network plugin.

If you connect your scanner directly to the network (you may need
additional hardware to do this) and configure it as mentioned in Olaf's
release announcement, you may be able to use it with the network plugin.
If you are able to do this and let us know how it goes, it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Alesh

--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp