[sane-devel] "epkowa" driver installation on Ubuntu 8.10

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Thu Mar 26 07:16:57 UTC 2009

Hi, I'm a developer on epkowa and iscan. Let's see if I can be of any help.

> (I tried using the forum at
> <http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/bbs_scan.html> but it seems one
> must have an account to be able to post there, and I see no way to sign
> up. Could be my deteriorating eyesight, who knows...)
I have to admit, I've never even looked at that site, and now that I
have I wish I hadn't, it's quite horrible.

But it seems that you do not need an account, the password you enter
just allows you to delete the post later, but why you would want to do
so is anyone's guess.

> My problem is I downloaded the deb packages from avasys.jp but
> iscan_2.18.0-2_i386.deb would not install (on Ubuntu 8.10) because of an
> unresolved dependency libltdl3. The Ubuntu repository offers libltdl7,
> which actually does work but is not recognised by the iscan package as
Ah, yes, we are aware of this problem, but as far as we are concerned
this is Ubuntu's mess. There isn't much we can do, unfortunately. This
should sort itself out when Debian migrates to libltdl7, which isn't
going to be for another few years, I guess.

The forum thread below mentions that you can download the libltdl3
package for hardy and install it on intrepid:

That is probably the easiest way to get this working.

> I do not know precisely what it means but it doesn't look particularly
> harmful. There is no package iscan-interpreter to be found either on
> avasys.jp or elsewhere but I guess I don't need it since iscan works
> just fine.
iscan-interpreter is a virtual package used for determining
compatibility between versions of iscan and its plugins, so yes, you
won't find it anywhere. I am not exactly sure why this message is being
displayed, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Alesh

--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp