[sane-devel] Mac OS X: sane pixma (not) scanning via network

Nicolas Martin nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr
Fri Mar 27 21:57:04 UTC 2009

Hi all

Le vendredi 27 mars 2009 à 22:01 +0100, Louis Lagendijk a écrit :
> Hi Peter
> Thanks for your patience. Here is some more input....
> Louis
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 11:27 -0700, Peter Schoenrank wrote:
> > On 09-Mar-26, at 14:17, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> >
> > > This could be because the MX850 is not connected on that Lan (duh)
> >
> > So, I disconnected the USB cable and connected the MX850 to my D-Link
> > switch.
> >
> > Then, from the 10.5 iMac (which currently has gettext 0.17, libusb
> > 0.1.13 beta 2009-02-22 and sane-backends 1.1.0-cvs 2009-02-20 as
> > packaged for Mac OS X 10.5 by Mattias Ellert, and which does not
> > currently have the Canon software installed),
> >
> > $ cd ~/Desktop/scanning_from_the_command_line
> > $ mkdir 2009-03-27_sane_testing.3
> > $ cd 2009-03-27_sane_testing.3
> > $ export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255
> > $ export SANE_DEBUG=255
> > $ export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=20
> > $ sane-find-scanner &> sane-find-scanner.log
> > $ scanimage -L &> scanimage-L.log
> >
> > device `pixma:04a9172c_d1da4f' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MX850 multi-
> > function peripheral
> >
> great, very well documented!!!
>
> > $ scanimage -d pixma:04a9172c_d1da4f -T &> scanimage-T.log
> >

> If scanimage finds only one scanner you can leave the -d parameter off
> as it will pick the last auto-detected scanner.
>
> > FAIL Error: Error during device I/O
> > [pixma] pixma_close(): Canon PIXMA MX850
> > [pixma] sanei_bjnp_close(1):
> >

> > The scanimage process doesn’t hang, but the MX850 is left showing the
> > message  "scanner is warming up" on its front panel. The message never
> > clears; pressing the Cancel button on the front panel results in
> > beeping; the MX850 must be power-cycled.
> >
> Ok, scanning starts, but apparently you may be running into a bug I
> fixed recently. You are not blocked by the firewall. I unfortunately
> deleted your old mails to the list, so I could not check whether you
> could compile the sane code yourself. Could you compile a recent CVS
> version? I hate having to ask this. Fortunately you are not dependent on
> libusb anymore. otherwise we may have to ask Mathias if he could kindly
> compile a recent CVS version?
> Nicolas, could it be an issue that even over USB, there is a problem
> with the button scanning code? I completely disabled that in the bjnp
> code after Raoul problems. It may be a long shot, but so far we seem to
> have no real clue as to what is happening.Could this be causing the
> problems for Peter? In the logs that Peter included now, my code is
> loosing contact with the scanner after an interrupt read. Anyhow, using
> a recent CVS should solve that issue for the bjnp interface.....

The button code is enable by an option in the Standard Options.
By default, this code is not enabled. So unless this options is
selected, the button code should not be runned.
Other kind of interrupts requested in usb are:
- send time: the scanner requests the date/time
- query status: the scanner request a query status message.
These are all the usb interrupt events that can be handled by the
backend.
What bothers me is that MX850 is reported to work fine on both usb and
bjnp, so I think we need to understand what is different here for MAC
OS.