[sane-devel] ICC support for SANE

Yiannis Belias jonnyb at hol.gr
Mon May 11 00:23:53 UTC 2009

Hello all,
 Let me introduce myself. My name is Yiannis Belias, I'm from Greece and study physics
at the University of Athens. This summer I'm also a GSoC student with the OpenICC project[1].
 My job will be to help integrate the image acquisition part of the graphics work-flow,
that is SANE[2] and gPhoto[3], with the Oyranos color management system[4].
The most important part of that, is for color management aware applications to be able to
get the relevant ICC profile(s) along with the scanned image. At this point there is
no such option offered by the SANE API, so eg. `scanimage' and `XSane' depend on user input.
So, I would very much appreciate your help/support/input on how you would want to see this
implemented on part of the SANE project. Maybe you already have ideas you want to propose,
like a SANE API extension, etc.

 To make things a bit clearer for me, I have put some drawings of the color management
relevant work-flow on my blog[5]. Please, take a look and tell me what you think, or leave a comment
and I will update the posts accordingly.
Sane work-flow: http://orion.freehost.gr/current-sane-workflow
Getting h/w, configuration info: http://orion.freehost.gr/sane-hw-info
Application using Oyranos: http://orion.freehost.gr/oyranos-workflow

Thank's in advance,
Yiannis

[1]http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc
[2]http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc/GoogleSoC2009#head-5e6dd20dc8d11a70c855bdd1e4553e1e3f08c567
[3]http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc/GoogleSoC2009#head-5a1c5962da4b188e15553eac925c68e6796ca9a3
[4]http://www.oyranos.org/
[5]http://orion.freehost.gr/taxonomy/term/9

Yiannis Belias  <jonnyb at hol.gr>                    `
Homepage [http://users.hol.gr/~jonnyb/video] '              .
GNU+LINUX:                                            '           '
IN A WORLD WITHOUT FENCES WHO NEEDS GATES?      .                     *