[sane-devel] Problem with HP ScanJet 4p and SCSI

David Brant brantosaurus at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 08:57:58 UTC 2009

Hi Allan

Before i tried your suggestion xsane was as dead as a dodo.

scanimage > image.pnm simply placed a lineart image into
my /home/'username' directory which i simply checked with the GIMP image
editor

Thinking using a text based application like scanimage was not really my
idea of a final solution, i selected xsane once more. To my great
surprise and delight it kicked in and is now up and running. I can now
scan in full glorious colour!

For the record, why does xsane now work when all else before failed? Has
it just simply used the scanned image location info to deduce my user
account and set the appropriate image file and directory permissions?
If so 'No devices available' does not adequately convey the real system
requirements.

All the same, many thanks for that

Dave