[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF5770 does not work with sane

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 01:16:49 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, Nicolas Martin <nicolas0martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dunno if you still own your ImageClass device, but as you
> were more
> expert than me on this part of the pixma backend, I
> naturally dare
> proposing you, if you can, to have a quick look at what's
> going on
> here.

Yup, still have it and I happened to catch the exchange on the mailing list archive when I was browsing it.  Bad timing too, as I had just cleaned out my old imageclass dev files and started a couple other hacking activities a few days ago :-)

Anyway, I took a quick peek at the provided log.  First of all, it's a bit too short.  A little longer log might be helpful.

Secondly, the protocol looks a lot more like the mp750 based on:
- Calibration cmd (0xe920) is in the logs like mp730/mp750 but not iclass
- cmd_read_image length (10) is same as mp730/mp750 and unlike iclass (11)
- cmd_err_info (0xff20) is in mp750 and iclass but not mp730

Perhaps try taking the USB ID out of pixma_imageclass.c and put it in
pixma_mp750.c?  I can keep digging into the log if you want and hopefully Jerry can supply a better one, but that's my initial impression.

-Dennis

P.S. I find it a bit curious that a laser-based MFP would need calibration.  Aren't these things supposed to be quick-start for when the user wants to use it as a copier machine?