[sane-devel] Problem with Iscan version iscan-2.19.0-4.c2

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri May 15 02:51:25 UTC 2009

russbucket <russbucket at nwi.net> writes:

> openSuSE 11.1 (2.6.27.21-0.1-default)
> KDE 4.2.1 release 106
>
> libksane0-4.2.1-83.1
> sane-backends-autoconfig-1.0.19-99.1
> xsane-0.996-0.pm.1
> sane-frontends-1.0.14-302.35
> sane-backends-1.0.19-99.1
>
> iscan-2.19.0-4.c2
>
> I've been using this version of iscan for some time with no problems.

Which frontend XSane or iscan (or both)?

> I last used it on 5-11 with no problems. when I tried to use it
> yesterday,

What changed in between?  You mention that no packages were updated.
Did you connect the scanner to another USB port?  Are you even using the
same scanner (am assuming you did but anyway)?

> it would show an unconfigured version of the scanner (when
> logging on as user) for the scanner selection, could access scanner,
> no other choice. If I log on as root, I get the epkowa configured
> version.

No other choice here?

Not sure what you mean when you distinguish between a configured and
unconfigured scanner.  Configured with YaST?

> If I go into YaST -->hardware-->scanner I
> see the two scanners. It will not let me delete the unconfigured one. It
> appears to be a permission problem, but I'm not sure where.

> I reported it to AVASYA tech support encase it is related to the udev
> problem.

Haven't heard about that report yet but our tests indicate that openSuSE
11.1 with udev versions 128-9.3 and 128-9.7.1 boot fine even with the
"botched" udev rules file.  You can fix that rules file easily by
replacing the `_begin` bit on the last line by `_end`, though.

> I checked the three .conf files in /etc/sane.d (epson.conf. epson2.conf,
> dll.conf and epkowa.conf) and all have same authorities. I do not see any
> .iscan file under user~.

What do you mean with authorities?

If you only want to use the scanner with the epkowa backend, then you
can safely comment out the other two backend entries in dll.conf.  As
the epson backend is no longer maintained, it's probably a good idea to
comment that out.

BTW, the user specific iscan preferences do not keep anything on the
last device used.

> Question where or what script determines which printer to use? No updates
> since 5-9, they were firefox related.
>
> Another ideas?

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962