[sane-devel] Problem with Iscan version iscan-2.19.0-4.c2

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon May 18 07:08:32 UTC 2009

russbucket <russbucket at nwi.net> writes:

> On Thursday 14 May 2009 07:51:25 pm Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> russbucket <russbucket at nwi.net> writes:
>> > openSuSE 11.1 (2.6.27.21-0.1-default)
>> > KDE 4.2.1 release 106
>> >
>> > libksane0-4.2.1-83.1
>> > sane-backends-autoconfig-1.0.19-99.1
>> > xsane-0.996-0.pm.1
>> > sane-frontends-1.0.14-302.35
>> > sane-backends-1.0.19-99.1
>> >
>> > iscan-2.19.0-4.c2
>> >
>> > I've been using this version of iscan for some time with no problems.
>>
>> Which frontend XSane or iscan (or both)?
>  Iscan is the one I always use, better results. I just tried Xsane with same
> results. Scanner Selection Dialog:  "unkown model. flatbed scanner
> [epkowa:usb:004:004]" same error message with iscan as user. As root it
> shows: Epson Stylus CX6500/6600 [epkowa:usb:004:004] and it works if you
> select OK.

Looks very much like a permission problem.  The backend attempts to
query the device to get the model name.  If that for whatever reason
fails you get "unknown" model.
We can be sure it is supported by means of its USB product ID.

>> > I last used it on 5-11 with no problems. when I tried to use it
>> > yesterday,
>>
>> What changed in between?  You mention that no packages were updated.
>> Did you connect the scanner to another USB port?  Are you even using the
>> same scanner (am assuming you did but anyway)?
>
> same scanner I had four the last 5+ years. Since it works as root I don't
> think its hardware.

Agreed.

> The scanner is on the same port its been on since I bought this computer about
> three months ago. I did try another port when trouble shoot on the 13th. I
> reboot the system when ever I moved the port. It is now back on the original
> port. The message did change to reflect the port I moved it.
>
> Actually I found their was an update to Firefox on the 10th. Also just checked
> updates to sane etc. Xsane appears to have had an update on Feb 19th 2009
> and sane frontends on Jan. 3 2009. sane-backends and sane- backends-
> autoconfig were both updated in Dec, 2008. There is an update available for
> libksane0 but I have not installed it since appears to be related to kde 4.2.3
> which I have not installed yet. I'm on 4.2.1.

As you mention using the scanner without problems on 5-11, I'd say all
of these are irrelevant.

>> > it would show an unconfigured version of the scanner (when
>> > logging on as user) for the scanner selection, could not access scanner,
>> > no other choice. If I log on as root, I get the epkowa configured
>> > version.
>>
>> No other choice here?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean when you distinguish between a configured and
>> unconfigured scanner.  Configured with YaST?
> Yes.

Then I'd suggest reconfiguring it with YaST.  That said, I have no idea
how one uses (or is supposed to use) YaST.

Another thing you can try is regenerate the iscan.rules file (but make
sure you fix up the last line for now!).  With root privileges:

  make-policy-file --force --quiet --mode udev \
      --registry $STATE_DIR/clean-files --pkg-vers "$VERSION"

$VERSION is the version of your iscan package, 2.19.0-4.c2, and
$STATE_DIR is normally /var/lib/iscan.  The location of the generated
file is listed in $STATE_DIR/clean-files (possibly together with some
other info).

>> > If I go into YaST -->hardware-->scanner I
>> > see the two scanners. It will not let me delete the unconfigured one. It
>> > appears to be a permission problem, but I'm not sure where.
>> >
>> > I reported it to AVASYA tech support encase it is related to the udev
>> > problem.
>>
>> Haven't heard about that report yet but our tests indicate that openSuSE
>> 11.1 with udev versions 128-9.3 and 128-9.7.1 boot fine even with the
>> "botched" udev rules file.  You can fix that rules file easily by
>> replacing the `_begin` bit on the last line by `_end`, though.

Above is how you fix up the generated iscan.rules file.

>> > I checked the three .conf files in /etc/sane.d (epson.conf. epson2.conf,
>> > dll.conf and epkowa.conf) and all have same authorities. I do not see any
>> > .iscan file under user~.
>>
>> What do you mean with authorities?
>>
>> If you only want to use the scanner with the epkowa backend, then you
>> can safely comment out the other two backend entries in dll.conf.  As
>> the epson backend is no longer maintained, it's probably a good idea to
>> comment that out.
>>
>> BTW, the user specific iscan preferences do not keep anything on the
>> last device used.
>>
>> > Question where or what script determines which printer to use? No updates
>> > since 5-9, they were firefox related.
>> >
>> > Another ideas?
>>
>> Hope this helps,
> I also just tried skanlite with same unknown model message.

The problem is not with the frontend.

> Sorry for being long winded.  If I can provide anything else let me know. I
> appreciate your help!

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962