[sane-devel] Sane with Samsung CLX-3170fn

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu May 21 12:15:01 UTC 2009

Thanks for the response.

I was talking as a user, so may be my description of paper state might
not have been strictly correct. What I meant was that the document
feeder will take each page through and when the last one has been taken
through scanadf seems to have problems when using the xerox_mfp driver
(either it causes the CLX-3170fn to restart and an extra image file is
made as if there is one more page than there was or scanadf keeps adding
more images as if there is an infinite number of pages (I never reached
an end it went to over 1000 at which point I managed to kill scanadf)
(the CLX3170fn doesn't try and do anything for these extra pages). If I
set --end-count to the number of pages scanadf exits correctly when
using the xerox_mfp driver. So it seems the xerox_mfp driver doesn't
raise the right error when the CLX-3170fn document feeder is empty.

The samsung drivers work fine to detect the document feeder being empty
but there is that issue with it not creating the image properly
(assumeably related to the warning it gives when using it with scanimage).

Another thing I have noticed is that when using scanadf with the
xerox_mfp driver the CLX-3170fn gives the beeps as if it has finished
scanning between each page when using scanadf where as the samsung
driver doesn't. This isn't really a problem, I just wonder whether this
might help in working out some of the problems. As a note: the samsung
twain drivers on windows makes the device give the beeps between pages
when I use the document feeder with scansoft's omnipage, and this
doesn't cause a problem with finding the document feeder as empty.

Michael Whapples