[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 5590 Color issue

Ilia Sotnikov hostcc at gmail.com
Mon May 25 09:57:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Mike Veach <vcraftymike at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been having difficulty in scanning in color using my HP Scanjet 5590
> in Color mode.
>
> $ scanimage -L
> device `hp5590:libusb:005:016' is a HP 5590 Workgroup scanner
>
> Both the greyscale and lineart features do not seem to give scanimage a
> problem.  However when I run a test such as.
>
> scanimage --mode Color > image.tiff
>
> The scanner will run through about 1/4 to 1/2 of the job before it abruptly
> freezes (I have to cycle the power to get it to show up to scanimage again)
>
> I have attached a debug logfile which was created with the command below.
>
> SANE_DEBUG_HP5590=20 scanimage --mode Color -T -v &> log.txt

Thanks for the log file. Just one thought after quick reading - first
line passed ok (scanimage: reading one scanline, 2550 bytes...), after
that scanimage tries to read 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 ... 4096, 4095 ... 7, 3
bytes which were failed. This is 'test mode' of scanimage (-T command
line switch). Could you please try without the switch? Scanning with
the same parameters but using different frontend would also be
helpful...

In the mean time, I will try to analyze why the backend has
difficulties with scanimage 'test mode'

--
 Ilia Sotnikov