[sane-devel] ICC support for SANE

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri May 29 08:32:51 UTC 2009

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> The (external) epkowa backend applies a colour correction profile to the
>
> "external" is the key ;)

Thought you'd say that :-P
But note that the epson2 backend may do the same in the next release.

Seriously, my point is that some SANE backends do fiddle with the colour
before returning the image data to the frontend.  TTBOMK the SANE spec
has nothing to say on whether that is allowed or not, so the safest
thing to assume is that it will happen.  Whether that has any knock-on
effects for ICC, I leave to the experts to decide.

>>>  - machines that send data with samples > 8 bits
>>
>> The epson, epson2 and epkowa backends can do 16 bit sample scans.
>> Moreover, the SANE spec explicitly says that 16 is a valid bit depth.
>
> Yes, but I'm not sure how well this is supported by frontends. XSane
> supports it but then saving in at least some formats goes down to
> 8bit.
>
> Aren't there also some machines that can return 12bit data?

The (current) SANE spec only allows 1, 8 and 16 bits.

Some EPSON devices can do anything in the 1-16 bits range according to
their protocol specs but I don't think that any recent devices are that
flexible.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962