[sane-devel] sane_get_devices() questions

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun May 31 23:32:30 UTC 2009

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> writes:

> there was a bug in sanei_usb which prevented sane from discovering
> newly added scanners. This was fixed in 1.0.20. Unfortunately, some
> backends only ask the system for a list of scanners during
> sane_init(). I fixed mine, but I bet other backends are still broken
> in this regard. Which backend/scanner is this?

FWIW, the, now deprecated, epson backend does this.
It has been fixed in the epkowa backend, not sure about epson2.

>> The questions:
>> 1) Have I missed something or is this just the way it works? (If this is the
>> way it "should" work, there could be a clarifying sentence about it in the
>> standard.)

Yes, that is the way it should work.  It's just that some backends are
not quite spec compliant.

>> 2) Is there a way to avoid calling sane_exit()?

Fixing up the backends that are not spec compliant, but I guess you
can't really wait with your frontend for that to happen.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962