[sane-devel] searching for business card scanner compatible with sane

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Fri Nov 6 18:33:49 UTC 2009

Hi Allan,

m. allan noah wrote:
> I have not seen any business card scanners with a 50 card input tray.
> In fact, most card sized scanners are single sheet simplex. You might
> have to move up to something like an A6 or A4 sized scanner to get
> multi-page duplex.

You are right. I think 50 page business card (250 g/m2) are a bit to
much to ask, but but an ADF for 10 times A8 (74 × 52 mm) (250 g/m2)
business cards would be nice.

I also did some searching, and found that even the most sick priced
>3000 euro scanners that do scan A8 (business card) sized media do not
indicate that they are capable of scanning 250 g/m2 paper... So this
seems to be an useless parameter to select a new scanner on...?

Last year I replaced my standalone HP ScanJet 6300c ADF scanner (support
broke with a new sane version) with a new HP Officejet J5780
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3301296

This printer with ADF only cost 130 euro and scans very nice. I did have
regression issues (HP messed up there code) with the network saned
server systems. But support of Julien BLACHE has been really good so now
I got a very usefull scanner setup togheter with my pct-scanner-scripts
available in Debian. I manage a few hundred scans per week, duplex is
not really needed, I got a nice software rearrange duplex feature.

I looked a bit further and found the following two options:

ScanSnap S300 (between 200 and 320 euro)
http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/s300.html

^^^ that looks like an useful addition to my scanner setup. I want to
buy this one but I am so afraid I will not get the sane driver features
I need because of an under developed driver. Are my fears justified!?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6619498&postcount=11
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-epjitsu.5.html

If somebody can convince me that missing features that are supported by
the hardware will be added to the driver then I will buy this unit...

ScanSnap S1500 (between 420 and 496 euro)
http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/scansnap-s1500.html

^^^ this scanner is also an option but its lot of money. I got perfect
results with a 130 euro all-in-one but no A8 scan support. Would 450
euro be worth it? It driver seems to be developed with the availiable
featurs. http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-fujitsu.5.html

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,