[sane-devel] drum scanners or high-end flatbeds: any hope?

David Heinrich dh003i at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:38:44 UTC 2009

Ok, thanks to the suggestion by Allan, I'm e-mailing with this
suggestion...I may be able to eventually buy one of these high-end flat-beds
or drum-scanners (that is, high-end compared to the Epson V750, not high-end
as in the $80k Aztek Premier) and have it shipped to a developer.

Developers, what are you suggestions for what may be a good thing to look
for? The Howtek 4500 drum seems to be commonly available, along with the
Creo Eversmart flatbed series (I think Creo is now owned by Kodak). However,
even the brand name of these companies is not mentioned on the sane-project
website. Of the high-end flatbed or drum scanners listed on the Large Format
scanner comparison page, only the Microtek brand are mentioned on the sane
page (and not any of the scanners relevant to me scanning in 4x5 inch and
8x10 inch film). Someone on LF forum suggested, however, that it might be
easier to adapt a driver for a low-end scanner of the same brand to a
high-end flatbed or drum (by high-end, I mean pro scanners with real
resolutions of 2500 dpi or higher, not marketing hype of 6400 dpi).

So, any suggestions?