[sane-devel] drum scanners or high-end flatbeds: any hope?

David Heinrich dh003i at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 04:37:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:28 PM, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 6:38 PM, David Heinrich <dh003i at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, thanks to the suggestion by Allan, I'm e-mailing with this
> > suggestion...I may be able to eventually buy one of these high-end
> flat-beds
> > or drum-scanners (that is, high-end compared to the Epson V750, not
> high-end
> > as in the $80k Aztek Premier) and have it shipped to a developer.
> >
> > Developers, what are you suggestions for what may be a good thing to look
> > for? The Howtek 4500 drum seems to be commonly available, along with the
> > Creo Eversmart flatbed series (I think Creo is now owned by Kodak).
> However,
> > even the brand name of these companies is not mentioned on the
> sane-project
> > website. Of the high-end flatbed or drum scanners listed on the Large
> Format
> > scanner comparison page, only the Microtek brand are mentioned on the
> sane
> > page (and not any of the scanners relevant to me scanning in 4x5 inch and
> > 8x10 inch film). Someone on LF forum suggested, however, that it might be
> > easier to adapt a driver for a low-end scanner of the same brand to a
> > high-end flatbed or drum (by high-end, I mean pro scanners with real
> > resolutions of 2500 dpi or higher, not marketing hype of 6400 dpi).
> >
> > So, any suggestions?
>
> Required:
> 1. It should use some standard port (i.e. SCSI).
> 2. It should have a complete copy of the windows software and any
> dongles required to run it.
>
> Extremely helpful:
> 1. protocol documents from the maker.
> 2. other user documents
> 3. any calibration targets
>
> I doubt this class of machines will really share any brains with their
> cheaper brothers, so don't worry about sticking with a particular
> brand. The SCSI protocol is more likely to enforce consistency than
> the name plate.

Thank you very much for the information. I'll consider that when looking at
what comes up for the drum-scanners in the future.

In the meantime, the support for the Epson 4990, V700, and V750 is listed as
"good", which is defined as all necessary functionality being there, but
some advanced functionality missing. How would one find out what
functionality is missing? (might it be the ICE, which "removes" scratches
via I think an IR light detecting them).