[sane-devel] drum scanners or high-end flatbeds: any hope?

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Mon Nov 9 09:24:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 23:37:58 -0500
David Heinrich <dh003i at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the meantime, the support for the Epson 4990, V700, and V750 is listed as
> "good", which is defined as all necessary functionality being there, but
> some advanced functionality missing. How would one find out what
> functionality is missing? (might it be the ICE, which "removes" scratches
> via I think an IR light detecting them).

 Hello,

  there's some basic support for IR for some of those
 scanners (maybe all of them but I haven't tested personally ;) ) .

  The SANE API is not yet capable of infrared but you
 might be able to obtain it if you build SANE for yourself
 and use tiffscan as the frontend.

  tiffscan will happily produce a TIFF file with RGB + infrared
 which should be processed by some ICE software like VueScan,
 (ICE is a software feature, unrelated to the scanner).

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy