[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Mon Nov 16 23:30:07 UTC 2009

m. allan noah wrote:
> I was under the impression that certain scanners also required
> proprietary plugins, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.
Yes.

> well, its more than just udev, it is also hal .fdi files too. but
> certainly the distros could compile the script such that its default
> output was proper type and location for their system.
HAL is on its way out, and the latest round of distro updates has seen fdi files
for SANE disappear from at least a few distros. But there are still some distros
that package them, so yes you're right, that would also need to be taken care of.

> I think re-writing a distro provided rules file is a bad idea. I would
> make more sense for a third party to make a small rules file for only
> its equipment. I don't have a problem with sane supplying a script to
> make that easier.
I see your point. What if we created a sub-directory under the sane.d directory
where third parties could drop their .desc files and call a regeneration script
from the postinst which would generate a separate udev rules and fdi file for
each file found in the directory. I suppose this would regenerate all the third
party rules each time, overwriting possible user changes. Although this whole
idea is an attempt to prevent users from having to do that in the first place,
so it might not be a problem.

Any ideas on how best to actually get this done? I would especially appreciate
some input from some of the package maintainers I know are on the list. How
willing would maintainers be to package such a script?

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp