[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Mon Nov 16 23:53:31 UTC 2009

Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Alesh Slovak <alesh.slovak at avasys.jp> wrote:
>> We can't use a static rules file because each distro uses slightly
>> different syntax. And even then, we can't keep up with all the changes
>> distros themselves keep making to their udev rules files resulting in
>> breakage nearly every time a new version of a distro is released. This
>> happened again with this months round of distro updates.
>
> Argh distro bashing. s/distro/udev's upstream/ in all of the above is
> way more correct.

I wasn't bashing, but point taken. I was just trying to make the case that there
is a reason many third party SANE backend providers screw up when it comes to
scanner permissions. I am not trying to blame anyone here, just trying to find a
solution we can all live with.

> udev's upstream keeps breaking everything with each new udev
> release. It's a major pain for distributions.
I see we are in the same boat on this one then.

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp