[sane-devel] As instructed by /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Wed Nov 18 00:20:35 UTC 2009

Johannes Meixner wrote:
 > As far as I understand udev (and HAL and how all this stuff is
 > called nowadays) it seems you are wrong when you think it is
 > the distros which introduce all this never ending mess
 > of incompatible changes.
 From my point of view it was the distros that kept changing. If you say it's
udev, I apologize for my ignorance. But like I said, I really don't care who is
the cause of this problem, I just want to see if we can fix it somehow.

> Regardless who tries to tame the udev monster, he is lost
> because nobody at userspace can tame the udev beast
> because it can change randomly at any time.
>
> Assume a user updates his kernel and randomly udev related
> stuff therein had changed.
>
> What should one do then?
This same problem exists now and yes, what I suggest won't change that.

> I just tell the user to run saned as root on localhost plus
> the net meta backend to get udev/HAL mess out of sight.
> Intentionally it is a very easy to be set up
> by the YaST scanner module ;-)
SUSE does still package udev/HAL rules for scanners, right? In which case,
packaging the tool used to generate those rules can't hurt. It certainly won't
fix the mess you mention, but it will give third parties and users an easy way
to add new rules.

--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp