[sane-devel] "sane_read: Device busy" with Canon PIXMA MX310 and sane 1.0.20-4ubuntu3

Rogier Eggers rogiereggers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:40:11 UTC 2009

Hello,

My scanner has trouble scanning multiple pages with the ADF. The second
consecutive page with scanimage always gives me the following error:

scanimage: sane_read: Device busy
Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 3)

This happens with all sane interfaces/programs that I have installed (xsane,
scanimage from command line and gscn2pdf with all included frontends).
Interestingly, there is no problem with scanning one page at a time (or
scanning with the Flatbed). Documents do not get stuck in the scanner as I
can issue the exact same command again and the next page (first page of that
batch) will scan properly again.

It used to work several months ago. Help very much appreciated!

Earlier, I had a conversation on the gscan2pdf-help mailing list as I first
experienced the problem with that program, but understandably I was referred
to this list. See thread here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20091030150312.GB4933%40eeepc&forum_name=gscan2pdf-help

Detail information:

Canon PIXMA MX310 (usb connected multi-functional device)
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
libsane 1.0.20-4ubuntu3
sane 1.0.14-7
sane-utils 1.0.20-4ubuntu3

Command and full output:

rogier at rogier-desktop:~$ scanimage --batch --source="Automatic Document
Feeder" -v -d "pixma:04A91728_1163AA" -v > test.tiff
Scanning -1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
Scanning page 1
scanimage: scanning image of size 640x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 22/255
scanimage: read 1683840 bytes in total
Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
Scanning page 2
scanimage: scanning image of size 640x877 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 255/0
scanimage: sane_read: Device busy
Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 3)
Closing device
Calling sane_exit