[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE100 found by lsusb and sane-find-scanner, not by scanimage -L

Y P yellow.penguin at edpnet.be
Mon Oct 5 16:56:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently helping a new(bie) Linux (Ubuntu) user to migrate from Win to
Linux.
All works fine except his LiDE100.

Someone told me to add gnomescan after having upgraded to Ubuntu Jaunty,
that's what I did, but unfortunately that didn't helped for the Canoscan;
see the test output:

root at ubuntu:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:1904 Canon, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 06b0:0001
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0471:0003 Philips
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:1205 Genesys Logic, Inc. Afilias Optical Mouse H3003
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

root at ubuntu:~# sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1904 [CanoScan], chip=GL843) at libusb:001:003
found USB scanner (vendor=0x06b0 [ALVA B.V.], product=0x0001 [ALVA 544Satellite]) at libusb:003:004

(note: ALVA is NOT a scanner but my USB braille-display :-) I need it for
being able to help that person since he's sighted and I'm not ! )

  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

root at ubuntu:~# scanimage -L

root at ubuntu:~#

Why isn't it possible to emulate a LiDE20 or 25 or so with another LiDE like
the 100 ? he's scanning only papers, not pictures, so he only needs grey and
for text purposes.

Another problem is that the model 100 is from 2008, and I can't advise him
to drop it on the trash and buy another ...

Which Canon people should I contact to ask for info so that a driver can be
made ? what kind of info is needed to build a driver for a scanner ?

On the other hand, which other comparable product from another manufacturer
should he buy in teh future ? he needs a small scanner and the LiDE series
are very very compact, that still make them attractive...

Grtnx,

Y)ellow P)enguin -> Y P