[sane-devel] Canoscan 4400F driver - update

Andreas Robinson andr345 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 22:47:29 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I've been busy working on a driver for the Canoscan 4400F for a good
while and thought it best to come out with an update in case someone
wonders whether I dropped off the planet.

Yesterday, I received some unexpected help from Wim Brul, (Thanks
again!) and was finally able to get the damned contraption to send
images properly!

The attached image should give you an idea how far along it is. (Or isn't.)

Basically, I have a good grasp of how the scanner works, but there's
still a lot of work to be done on the actual driver.

The curious can visit http://github.com/andr345/gl843driver where I'm
dumping my code at irregular intervals.
(The interesting files are gl843_*.c)

It is a standalone test driver, where I've experimented with accessing
the scanner registers by name, instead of by I/O address and bit
number. It's *very* convenient, but so different from the current
Genesys driver that I'm doubting whether it can ever be merged with
it.

Anyhow, back to work! If you have questions or opinions, I'll be happy
to answer them.

Cheers,
Andreas