[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF4370dn

Nicolas Martin nicolas0martin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:36:13 UTC 2009

Le samedi 17 octobre 2009 à 19:22 -0700, Adrian Sandor a écrit :
> Oh, in order to be able to use it on the network, I should connect it
> to USB first? That's funny.
That's not what is meant when asking for the usb pid.

We ask you the usb pid because both usb and network part of the pixma
backend use the usb pid to identify the scanner model (pixma backend
supports more than 50 different models), then the Pixma protocol,
initially designed for usb, can be used "off the shelf", as Louis
Lagendijk implemented it, encapsulated into the bjnp (Canon) network
protocol.

So not a funny thing here, but rather ingenious and efficient, as a
Pixma scanner supported for usb can be used directly with network bjnp,
no additional or specific code needed.

Concerning the ImageClass MF4370dn device, it looks like it shares the
same usb pid as MF4380dn, for which I've just committed the declaration
in the pixma backend, following some exchanges with Raimondo who
initiated a thread about this some days ago. MF4380dn is supported
(confirmed for usb), and there's great chance that MF4370dn will be
supported too with the same code.

Louis:
if the network support fails, I'm just wondering whether the DES name
for this model is set correctly, the usb signature (from the USB snoop)
was reported to be: "Canon  MF4360-4390" so a bit different from what
was seen before. Is the DES name detected displayed in the backend logs
to check for that ?

Nicolas