[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 50 not working on recently installed Debian Lenny

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Thu Oct 29 06:29:38 UTC 2009

Le jeudi 29 octobre 2009 02:31:27 m. allan noah, vous avez écrit :
> well, it's not very conclusive- perhaps one of the genesys backend
> authors will comment. In the mean time, you might try to upgrade to
> the most recent sane-backends release, just to see if there are any
> fixes...
>
> allan
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 6:26 AM,  <sjnz at freenet.co.nz> wrote:
> > We got 4 sounds this time. Yes there is a carriage lock on the bottom but
> > it is unlocked. I toggled the switch before testing just to be sure.
> >
> > Once again, I sure appreciate your time and expertise.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > PS the log file is an attachment sent separately.

> >> well, that is something better- does this thing have a physical carriage
> >> lock on the bottom? might need to unlock it. If not- try getting the
> >> genesys log while scanning:
> >>
> >> SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255 scanimage > test.pnm 2>test.log
> >>

> >> and lets look at test.log
> >>
> >> allan --
> >> "The truth is an offense, but not a sin"
> >>

> >> --

	Hello,

	I second allan, it would be nice if you could test with at least last stable
SANE release (1.0.20). But from the log sent, we can see that data reading is
failing during a calibration scan, while previous scans have succeeded. This
is rather uncommon. It happened that a few backends had some problems due to
'USB suspend and resume' at linux kernel level. See:
 - http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2007-July/019637.html
 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/85488

	So I think it would be interesting if you could try some live cd to test same
hardware with another kernel. Or test your scanner on another linux machine.
	Since it _may_ be related to USB problems, you could look a kernel messages
with the 'dmesg' command ? Another source of problem might be the usb port
used. On my laptop, only one of the 4 ports available works correctly with
scanners, so depending on which slot I plug scanners, they work or not.

Regards,
	Stef