[sane-devel] HP1120n (hpljm1005) Debian Lenny (armel) missing bottom of page

Emilio Federici emilio.federici at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 17:17:58 UTC 2009

m. allan noah ha scritto:
>> I've tried scanning at the lowest res supported by the device with scanimage
>> (75dpi). Opening the .pnm file produced with Gimp I noticed that the
>> dimensions are exactly the ones of an A4, BUT resolution of the image is
>> 72dpi not 75!
>>

> that is only because the pnm format does NOT store the resolution, and
> gimp defaults to 72.
>
>  So scaling it back to 75 I get the actual scanned portion
>
>> dimensions which is about 265mm x 205mm.
>> The problem shows up already in the preview "pre-scan" so at the lowest res.
>>

> I dont want the physical dimensions, just the pixel size. Does
> reducing the -y parameter reduce the height?
>
> can you send us the output of scanimage --help
>
> allan

The actual size in pixels is 624 x 840.
Setting the -y actually reduces the height but to a wrong extent AFAIK:
I've tried with "-y 100" but I obtained a 224 pixel high image.

Finally scanimage --help produces this output:

Usage: scanimage [OPTION]...

Start image acquisition on a scanner device and write PNM image data to
standard output.

Parameters are separated by a blank from single-character options (e.g.
-d epson) and by a "=" from multi-character options (e.g. --device-name=epson).
-d, --device-name=DEVICE   use a given scanner device (e.g. hp:/dev/scanner)
    --format=pnm|tiff      file format of output file
-i, --icc-profile=PROFILE  include this ICC profile into TIFF file
-L, --list-devices         show available scanner devices
-f, --formatted-device-list=FORMAT similar to -L, but the FORMAT of the output
                           can be specified: %d (device name), %v (vendor),
                           %m (model), %t (type), and %i (index number)
-b, --batch[=FORMAT]       working in batch mode, FORMAT is `out%d.pnm' or
                           `out%d.tif' by default depending on --format
    --batch-start=#        page number to start naming files with
    --batch-count=#        how many pages to scan in batch mode
    --batch-increment=#    increase number in filename by an amount of #
    --batch-double         increment page number by two for 2sided originals
                           being scanned in a single sided scanner
    --batch-prompt         ask for pressing a key before scanning a page
    --accept-md5-only      only accept authorization requests using md5
-p, --progress             print progress messages
-n, --dont-scan            only set options, don't actually scan
-T, --test                 test backend thoroughly
-h, --help                 display this help message and exit
-v, --verbose              give even more status messages
-B, --buffer-size          change default input buffersize
-V, --version              print version information

Options specific to device `hpljm1005:libusb:003:032':
    --resolution 75|100|150|200|300|600|1200dpi [75]
        resolution
    -l 0..220mm [0]
        tl-x
    -t 0..330mm [0]
        tl-y
    -x 0..220mm [220]
        Width of scan-area.
    -y 0..330mm [330]
        Height of scan-area.
    --brightness 1..11 [6]
        Set the brightness
    --contrast 1..11 [6]
        Set the contrast
    --mode Gray|Color [Color]
        Selects the scan mode (e.g., lineart, monochrome, or color).

Type ``scanimage --help -d DEVICE'' to get list of all options for DEVICE.

List of available devices:
    hpljm1005:libusb:003:032

Thanks for your help