[sane-devel] CanoScan 8000F

Michael Schmitt mschmitt at unixkiste.org
Sun Apr 4 03:45:37 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

someone had the urge to give me a Canon CanoScan 8000F for free... oh
how lucky I am! ... NOT!

http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-8000f.html

Anyway, to make it short, SANE does not support it, I can't code, but I
am willing to disassemble the device (done already partly, details later
on) and try to help in every other regard I am able to.

Too sad the device seems to nice to be trashed, so I hope some folks are
willing to help.

As said I did disassemble the device partly and can see some chips. The
three most prominent ones are:

EM638165TS-7
(which most likely is just DRAM)

st L6219DS
699AX0339
(most likely the IC for the stepper motor?)

EliteMT		100MHz
M118416256A	-25J
FPC1NJ085	0336
(This one did puzzle me... according to google could be an IC or DRAM
too)

There is one bigger area (about ca. 4*4cm) completely covered with a
metal coat (like with TV-tuner-cards but a lot smaller) soldered on the
circuit board and I assume the really interesting chip is hidden under
there? I have to find my soldering iron, but I am willing to chop that
hood off too... I guess...

I did contact the guy who said he was willing to try to code a backend
back in 2003 but unfortunately he did not get far and he has no more
insights regarding that device.

So, anyone? :)

regards
Michael