[sane-devel] C#/Mono FrontEnd Wrapper for scanimage / scanadf

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Mon Apr 5 01:16:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Christopher Sawyer
<christoofar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I had been looking for a long time for a Mono binding for SANE but most of
> my efforts have been fruitless (probably because none exist! :-)  so I
> started writing my own.
>
> If anybody wants to help me, I put the source here:
> http://code.google.com/p/mono-sane/
>
> The code is capable of reading the scanner list from scanimage, interpreting
> the configuration options, performing a one-pass scan with or without
> scanimage options.
>
> It shells out to scanimage and collects its output from there.  I'm
> expanding it as I go along since I'm using it to experiment with forms
> recognition.  I'm working on ADF, thread-safety, delegate callbacks for
> asynchronous scanning right now and hope to finish it soon.

Dunno much about Mono but you should be using the SANE API directly.
It has of course native binding to C, but surely there must be a way
of loading shared objects and static C libraries from Mono/C#. For
example in Perl it's called XS, a language/API that helps glue C code
to Perl, there surely must be something for C#., I think you should be
looking into that, rather than a STDIN/STDOUT interface with
scanimage. Just did a quick google search came up with this:

http://www.mono-project.com/Interop_with_Native_Libraries

Cheers,
Alejandro Imass