[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 3170 on 64 bit

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sat Apr 17 12:36:16 UTC 2010

So, what are the chances of a few folks using the usb capture software
and getting the command set for the 3170 scanner and then writing a
backend?  I don't have any windows boxes but would gladly help sift
the captured data and writing the driver.  I suppose another
alternative might be to disassemble the current driver and work from
that but I don't have much experience doing that.  I do have the 3170
scanner so am willing to help anyway possible.

Maybe one of the old-hands around here could recommend a set of
operations to put the scanner through to capture most or all of the
needed command sequences.

   Kirk
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Ingo M?ller wrote:

> Hey everyone!
>
> I just got a response from Epson. The Perfection 3170 driver for Linux
> is not maintained anymore. There is no 64bit version, neither are their
> plans for one. The suggested solution is to set up a 32bit environment
> inside the 64bit system and use the 32bit drivers. What a shame...
>
> Ingo
>

> Le 23.03.2010 22:50, Ingo M?ller a ?crit :
>> Thanks a lot Alash! I did as you said and post the updates here if I get
>> any response :-)
>>
>> Le 23.03.2010 01:01, Alesh Slovak a ?crit :
>>> Hi Ingo,
>>>
>>> I'm a developer working on Image Scan! for Linux.

>>> The Epson Perfection 3170 requires a proprietary plugin. This is only
>>> provided in binary form and only available for the i386 architecture. At
>>> the moment there are no plans to provide a 64-bit binary, but if enough
>>> people knock on Epson's doorstep, they usually listen. The best way to
>>> let them know is to fill out the support form here:
>>> https://avasys.jp/eng/contact/inquiry/inq_form4_en.php
>>>
>>> Happy scanning,
>>

>> --

phone: (519) 661-3061