[sane-devel] API addition request

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Aug 19 15:51:43 UTC 2010

Hello,

Am 19.08.10, 17:35 +0200 schrieb Julien BLACHE:
> Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Does this relate to the patches themself or is it outside of my scope?
>
> It relates first and foremost to the state of SANE, SANE2, etc, etc.

The patches are for SANE only and have API and ABI wise not much side
effects. Most apps will work as usual. Some apps can make use of the
additional informations from the patch. But there is no requirement to do
so.

Is SANE already frozen?

If the SANE_CAP_COLOR flag will be a design decission for SANE2 as well
thats fine, but no precondition for its usefulness in SANE. With the
experiences in SANE there will come experience and ideas about how to best
add a similiar or better feature to SANE2.

> Unfortunately we seem to be stuck right now with no solution in sight
> and as it is we wouldn't have enough manpower to produce a revamped
> version of SANE :/

I know of that difficult situation. However, having the patch applied to
git would save us work in later patching sane by hand and convincing
distributors to do as well.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--