[sane-devel] HP ADF Support for chipset RT58822

JKD jkdsoft at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 01:36:47 UTC 2010

Hello,

2010/8/20 Alejandro Imass <aimass at p2ee.org>

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know the current support for the several HP ADF
> scanners that share the common chipset. From what I could see, it
> seems that the hp3900 series driver should support most if not all HP
> scanners based on the RT58822 chipset. Nevertheless, I don't have
> enough scanner skills to actually confirm this.

hp3900 focuses on RTS8822 and derivates. I don't know if RT58822 is just
a mistake or another chipset.

Here are the scanners we would need support for:
> 8290, 8350, 8390, 8420, 7800
>

> I think our team has confirmed that all except for the 7800 share the
> same chipset. We can't confirm the 7800 because we haven't had access
> to it yet, but we will next week.

 All scanners I've tested using RTS882x don't provide ADF functionality so I
didn't
recognize any related register and hp3900 doesn't support it.

> Question: Is adding support for these as simple as adding their
> hardware ids to the lists in hp3900.xxx ? What else should we be aware
> of?

hp3900 backend has extended options to test device's behavior using known
settings from recognized chipsets but this chipset is a bit complex needing
many data to be programmed (such as lamp settings, sensor type, sensor
clocks,
motor steps depending on supported resolutions and so on). The idea is
analyze
windows' driver to extract all necessary data that may be different in each
scanner
model. That may take some time.

Jonathan Bravo Lopez