No subject

Thu Aug 5 15:37:00 UTC 2010

As long as a setup tool (like YaST) provides the end-user
an easy way to switch back and forth there is no real problem.
Initially the old stuff was the default, then we switched
to the new stuff as default (this is the actual switch from
the end-users point of view), and a longer time later
we dropped the old stuff - first we dropped support for
the old stuff in YaST but kept its RPM packages and
at the very end we dropped also the old stuff packages.

Via our openSUSE build service I can provide a new sane-backends
at any time via a separated package repository so that interested
users can install it on demand whenever they like (but there would
be no automated replacement of an installed sane-backends package
on a user's system).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex