[sane-devel] HP-scanner support

Igor Zobin Igor.Zobin at rub.de
Sun Dec 12 18:30:00 UTC 2010

Hello,

I use a HP Scanjet 2400, which is recognized by the lsusb as: "ID
03f0:0a01 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2400c". When starting xsane from the
terminal, it told me to email you about how well the scanner works.

The scanner works (b/w only) in Fedora 12 and 13 without any problems,
Trisquel 4.0 however has some rights issues and xsane sees the scanner
only if I start it as root. I would appreciate some advice from your
side in that. How do I make xsane see the scanner in normal-user mode?
I'm using Trisquel 4.0 tarantis.

When I try to scan in colour, I get a picture where all the colours are
out of place. All three components R, G and B are there, but they don't
match up on the picture which makes it look very funny.

Another issue I have with the scanner: it only works in 300 dpi. Every
other resolution will result in one portion of the picture becoming black.

Other than that, as long I scan in b/w and with 300dpi, it works
perfect. The picture is of higher quality (higher contrast, very deep
black) than with the original Windows driver. If the paper I'm scanning
is thin enough, I am able to read what's written on the OTHER side of
it, that's how good it is.

Greets,
Igor.