[sane-devel] Canon 8800F IC information

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 13:59:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM, stef <stef.dev at free.fr> wrote:
> Le vendredi 12 février 2010 10:32:52 Gernot Hassenpflug, vous avez écrit :
>> Milan Toman & I opened up our Canon 8800F scanners a few weeks ago and
>> tried to find information on the devices contained therein. I will put
>> up pictures on my home server on the weekend and post the URL in this
>> thread.
>        Hello,
>
>        there is one more data point you can try to get. By using usbsnoop, you could
> try to see if first USB writes send a firmware. If yes, you could try to feed
> it through disassembler to find if it a known micro controller, for instance
> something based on a 8080.
>
> Regards,
>        Stef

I still have to put the scanner together again (tomorrow night) and do
that. I am using Windows XP in VMWare on a Debian GNU/linux x86 host.
I guess you mean "try a disassembler", like x86dis, assuming x86 code.
It seems however NEC uses something like a V850 a lot. I'll look
around.

General question: if there is a generic ASIC used to instruct the
scanner, does that mean the scanner driver hardware is then off-chip,
or can a generic ASIC produce the same kinds of outputs as, say, the
Genesys scanner driver chips?

Regards,
Gernot