[sane-devel] Backend for Canon CanoScan 8800F

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:30:18 UTC 2010

Dear all,
Sorry for the delay, had some trouble bringing up one of my required
vmware network services. Anyway, I got a first SniffUSB 2.0.0006 (x86)
trace of the CanoScan 8800F, and want to check with knowledgable
people if I had done the right thing. It is a trace of the ON and OFF
button action only, nothing else done. I've followed guides from the
'net here.

1) in Windows XP under VMWare, installed Canon drivers for printer
(connecting printer as required during the process), and utility
programs. Tested that scanning works.

2) got SniffUSB 2.0.0006 and ran it in WinXP. It copied the necessary
file to the system directory and showed me 6 existing USB devices.

3) closed SniffUSB.

4) Switched on CanoScan 8800F, and then ran SniffUSB again. CanoScan
8800F showed up with following information line:
    USB\Vid_04a9&Pid_1901&Rev_0101 giving Vendor ID, Product ID and Revision.

5) Selected "install" for tracing the scanner.

6) Switched off scanner, deleted logfile.

7) Switched on scanner again. Saw log file grow.

8) Switched off scanner. Copied log file to Desktop for viewing.

For some reason I cannot view the logfile in its location in
C:\WINDOWS, nor delete it, even when SniffUSB is not running (and
"unselect" has ensured no devices are being tracked).

I will perform some short scans next, but I would really be happy if
someone with experience with SniffUSB could confirm that I am seeing
what is expected.

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug