[sane-devel] scanimage segfaulting

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Jan 7 22:15:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07 23:08:39 +0100, Jean-Christophe SAAD DUPUY <saad.dupuy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. Today something weird : scanimage (scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.21cvs;
> backend version 1.0.21) is segfaulting. I putted a gdb trace in the tail.
> My device is an Epson SX510W and i'm using the epson2 backend.

In this case, a backtrace isn't helpful at all: At the point where it
shows the signal delivery, the failure (most probably errors in
malloc/free handling or writing outside of allocated buffers) is only
detected, but it happened long before.

It would help a lot if you'd redo your test run, though not with gdb,
but using electric-fence. That will probably show where the actual bug
is hidden.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:           Ich hatte in letzter Zeit ein bißchen viel Realitycheck.