[sane-devel] Epson NX105 won't scan in Ubuntu Karmic

Ed Rippy ed.rippy at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 10 21:15:18 UTC 2010

Have Image Scan! (latest pkg for NX100, tested for Intrepid, I think) running under Jaunty, but after clean install of Karmic can't get it going. Apparently it's bundled w/ pips on the Avasys Website (can't find any recent standalone "iscan"); but on installation (Karmic) pips-snx100-... reports error. I poked around & found an alleged dependency on SANE (XSANE is installed by default); Loaded up SANE but that didn't help. Uninstalled/reinstalled pips, didn't help. Looks like a left-over post-install trigger (I don't understant these very well!); I get the same error (from pips) after installing *other* pkgs & even routine updates (the error doesn't seem to mess anything else up, tho).

Output:
Setting up pips-snx100 (3.5.0-1) ...
dpkg: error processing pips-snx100 (--configure):
.
.
.

 pips-snx100
A package failed to install.
[end of output]

 sane-find-scanner reports "found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0841) at libusb:004:002" (lsusb also finds Seiko Epson scanner @ 004:002).

   Have gone thru Image Scan! user's guide w/o success (but it's from 2005 -- obsolete?). Scanimage reports "no SANE devices found." I do not have "epkowa" files but do have epjitsu & fujitsu; have tried adding "usb" line to .conf files, didn't help.