[sane-devel] Please help for my Xsane settings

Jin Chen chenjin824 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 04:38:44 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I've been playing with the settings for quite a while and the scanning
results are still not good enough.

I was using Xsane 0.996 under Ubuntu 9.10 to scane blank writing pad paper
with rule-lines. Note the paper is white and has no
ink at all, except those rule-lines. When I scanned this kind of paper, the
result image is always too bright to see the rule-lines (which are my
concerns).

Case1: true-gray model, 600dpi, gamma = 0.3 (minumun), brightness =
-100(minumun), contrast = 100(maximum), I get a result with partial visible
rule-lines, but
the quality in general is not good. I tried to modify the threshold
parameters in the  Preference->setup->enhancement, but no luck -- maybe I
can't fully understand
those threshold minimum(0), maximum(20), multiplier(12.5). Anybody can help?

Case2: Black&White, 600dpi, It didn't matter what gamma, birghtness, etc
were, the results were almost always a white image -- no rule lines are
visible at all.

Note that if I scanned it in a color model, I can see the rule-lines easily.
However, I don't want to do the follow-up converting work; I want everything
that comes out of
the scanner to be original and raw.

If possible, I'd like to scanned in both gray model and BW model
respectively, and at the same time make the rule-lines as clear as possible.
If anybody has done this before
or have any ideas how to play with those parameters, I'd be more than happy
to hear.

I appreciate your help!

Sincerely,
Jin Chen