[sane-devel] Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 PRO

Scot sane at mailcan.com
Tue Jan 26 16:19:49 UTC 2010

> Le Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:25:20 -0500,

> > > The requested snoop output is bundled together with the
> > > corresponding small black and white image and posted at:
> > >
> > > ?http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mustekscanner/
> > > ?PublicFolder/mustek-a3-1200-pro.zip
> > >
> > > Please let me know what else I can do to help!
> >
> > Well, it does alot of small control transfers, probably setting up
> > registers. I'm not well-versed in such machines. Perhaps someone else
> > will recognize it, or have time to compare to the existing mustek
> > backends.
> >
> > allan
>
> Hi, I did not investigate much, but it really looks like sq113 ship. In
> my opinion, you should try the mustek_usb2 backend.
> Regards
>
> Tam

Thanks guys for taking a look, I really appreciate it.

Tam, it looks like you were right about the chip:

----------------
$ sudo sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f [Hewlett-Packard.        ], product=0x040b [USB2.0 Scanner            ], chip=SQ113) at libusb:001:013

$ export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_USB2=255;scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of mustek_usb2 to 255.
[mustek_usb2] sane_init: start
[mustek_usb2] SANE Mustek USB2 backend version 1.0 build 10 from sane-backends 1.0.20
[mustek_usb2] sane_init: authorize != null
[mustek_usb2] sane_init: exit
[mustek_usb2] sane_get_devices: start: local_only = false
[mustek_usb2] GetDeviceStatus: start
[mustek_usb2] Asic_Open: Enter
[mustek_usb2] Asic_Open: no scanner found
[mustek_usb2] MustScanner_GetScannerState: Asic_Open return error
[mustek_usb2] sane_get_devices: exit

[mustek_usb2] sane_exit: start
[mustek_usb2] sane_exit: exit

Searching for "[mustek_usb2] Asic_Open: no scanner found" leads to some posts on the list in November 2008 titled "Can't seem to find config files". It seems like there is no .conf file for the mustek_usb2 backend because it only supports one scanner. So the author went into the source code and tweaked the usb identifier data for his (slightly different) scanner, achieved partial success, and then disappeared.

The mustek_usb2 driver supports the "BearPaw 2448TA Pro" scanner, with specs listed here:
http://en.kioskea.net/guide/details/170414-mustek-bearpaw-2448ta-pro

The "ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 PRO" scanner has a horizontal optical resolution is 1200dpi instead of 2400, and a page size of A3 instead of A4. I'd feel uncomfortable doing much experimentation with recompiling the sources, out of concern for damaging the scanner, which I need to use for a project.

Would any of you guys be interested in getting this scanner to work with SANE? I'd be willing to contribute one of these right away... not that you need yet another one :-)

Scot