[sane-devel] libusb + epkowa prob

C L. rosc2112 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 29 02:04:41 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 1/28/10, Alesh Slovak <alesh.slovak at avasys.jp> wrote:
> We do not provide Slackware packages on our site. How
> exactly did you install the non-free esci-interpreter-gt-f720 plugin package? It contains the proprietary library and firmware file required to get the V30 working.

I compiled the src package for iscan to get the epkowa driver, didn't realize I needed the esci-interpreter file til that was mentioned. I just grabbed the 1st rpm (esci-interpreter-gt-f720-0.0.1-2.i386.rpm), rpm2targz'd it, and copied the bins to my /usr/lib/sane dir.

> You will also need to add an interpreter line to
> epkowa.conf. In your case it should look something like
> this:
> interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x0131
> /usr/lib/esci/libesci-interpreter-gt-f720
> Also make sure the firmware file for this model
> `esfw8b.bin` is located under /usr/share/esci/

Bingo!!! Now it's working! At least as root (I should be able to sort that out, need to edit the /etc/udev/rules/libsane.rules.)  I didn't come across any documentation mentioning that interpreter line. That's the secret ingredient I was missing =)

There's just one small detail left: When I set up the v10 in similar manner, added a line to epkowa.conf like:

interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x012d /usr/lib/sane/libesint66

and then run scanimage -L it's not reporting a model where lsusb sees it as a V10/V100:

scanimage -L

device `epkowa:interpreter:001:002' is a Epson Perfection V30 flatbed scanner

device `epkowa:interpreter:003:002' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner

lsusb:
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04b8:012d Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection V10/V100 (GT-S600/F650)

Trying to run xsane, gives me the choice of scanners, good. If I pick the v10 (unknown model) xsane then gives an error about 'Failed to open device 'epkowa:interpreter:003:002' Invalid Argument. Disabled the v30 to check there wasn't a conflict, didn't help.

Maybe this isn't the right way to set up the v10, compared to the v30?

Thanks a load :))
<:beer:>