[sane-devel] a regression between 1.0.20 and 1.0.21

Jozef Riha jose1711 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 21:30:53 UTC 2010

hello list,

i came across a regression (?) in sane between the versions in %subj.
i have a printer/scanner samsung scx 4300. now 1.0.20 does not have a
support for this scanner but it's a simple matter of adding usb 0x04e8
0x342e into /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf. the scanner then works
flawlessly. but as soon as i upgrade to 1.0.21 (where sane.d config
already contains my device) something goes wrong and i can only get a
grayscale output, to be more specific:

color -> grayscale (256 colors)
grayscale -> 2 colors
line art -> 2 colors

i tried to overwrite all the /etc/sane.d/* with the ones from older
version but this changed nothing.

the problem has been first encountered on my arch linux box, then
recreated on a fresh arch linux installation inside virtualbox. ubuntu
users do not suffer as they still have 1.0.20 in their repository.

if there's anything i can do to help isolating this bug, please let me know.

cheers,

jose