[sane-devel] sane and gt-2500

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Mon Jul 5 17:21:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:33:04 +0200, Alessandro <aleuser at inwind.it> wrote:

> From: Wolfram Heider <wolframheider at web.de>
>

>>> 1- on internet I see the gt-2500 is able to get the preview in 9 sec..
>>
>> Can't confirm this - with me, using the iscan gui, preview starts
>> almost immediately. However if you are in a network and saned is
>> running it may take some time till saned has identified all available
>> scanners and is presenting a selection list.
>

> Thanks for your good news :-)
> I'm not in a network: I will dedicate an old linux pc to gt-2500.
>

>> If you are using iscan you can handle the button (in Xsane it doesn't
>> work)
>
> Perfect.
>

>>> 3- I'd like to use the sane command line. Is sane able to automatically
>>> use the ADF if there are some pages in it? Or have I to choose ADF or
>>> A4-plane with a command line arguments?
>>
>> You will need arguments in scanimage, scanadf etc - else the GT-2500
>> will work in flatbed mode.
>
> Do you know what append if there are no pages in the ADF and I use the
> ADF argument?

This is not quite clear to me. If you don't want to use the ADF-unit but
just want to scan in flatbed mode you will need no further arguments.
If you try to scan in ADF mode and there are no sheets in the ADF-unit,
scanadf/scanimage simply will exit with a "scanned 0 pages".
A simple command line call could look like this: scanadf --source
Automatic Document Feeder --speed=yes -o ~/scanadf/image-%d. If you want
speed you must take care that the speed option is activated (really makes
a difference).

>> Note, to run the GT-2500 you will need the epkowa backend. It isn't
>> part of the SANE drivers, but it perfectly fits in. You can get it
>> here: http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/
>
> Ok, I didn't know it
>

>> In summary I would say the GT-2500 is a very recommendable machine,
>> especially with heavy duty jobs when hundreds of sheets have to be
>> scanned in one swoop.
>
> I care about one single sheet job (with or without ADF); here it is the
> most common case.
> Our needs are:
> -  A4 planed (ADF probably will be used, but it is not necessary)
> - very fast B/W single shoot scan in medium/low quality (300dpi?) for
> office documents
> - Sane compatibility.

If ADF isn't essential for you you might have a look on the Avasys website
(is Epson actually). There is a list of supported scanners (flatbed too).
They have Sane compatibility.
In my experience Epson scanners are pretty fast.Sadly,the fastest,the
Perfection 1670, isn't available anymore.

> I think/hope GT-2500 can work fine for us :-) Other scanners don't give
> us these certainties (productors sites informations are so poor..)

Wolfram Heider