[sane-devel] Art project

karim moreau karimmoreau at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:43:58 UTC 2010

Hello.
I'm currently working on an artistic project and am looking for someone with
technical knowledge (developer, engineer,…) to help me with advice and / or
assistance.

Basically, what I am trying to do is to modify a desktop scanner so as to
significantly increase the size of the scanning surface.

See figure here : http://www.upian.net/schema.jpg

What I want to do is, starting with a basic A4 or A3 scanner, to cut it and
increase substantially the scanning surface "B" of the scanner.

For instance, an A4 scanner uses a 21cm wide sensor that can scan a 29,7cm
long surface, from point "p1" to point "p2"

The idea is to cut the scanner and to increase its length in order to allow
him to scan a significantly longer surface, up to a point "p3" that could be
2m from point "p1".

The material aspect of that project isn't going to be a problem for me. But
what I need help for is the software part of the problem : for the driver of
the scanner has to be partially rewritten or modified so as to allow the
tracks of the scan to run all the way through (point "p3") but also to
produce an image that has the new proportions of the scanner.

Depending on what you are advising, I'm also ready to invest in a specific
model, if you think the driver of that specific scanner is going to be
easier to reprogram / modify.

Thank you very much for any input, advice or help : I'd really like to be
able to pull this through, so please do not hesitate to share any thoughts
you have on this, wether you think this is doable or not.

--
Karim Moreau
76 rue de la jonquiere
karimmoreau at gmail.com