[sane-devel] Art project

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 20:02:28 UTC 2010

Modifying the hardware is the easy part.

The problem here is that many scanner chipsets don't understand the
idea of longer length scanning. They have one or more internal
registers that hold the length of the scanned area and/or the length
of the scanner bed, so that the motor can slow and stop before
striking the end of the bed. Most machines don't give the programmer
access to those registers.

I think what you need is either an ADF machine with long-scanning
support (which you have to convert into a flatbed), or a very stupid
flatbed which relies upon the driver to detect the end of the bed.

The cardscan 800c is a combination of those two ideas, a very dumb ADF
machine. But, it is very narrow.

allan