[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX870

Nicolas Martin nicolas0martin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:44:50 UTC 2010

Le dimanche 18 juillet 2010 à 00:04 +0200, Matthias Pannek a écrit :
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 21:17:44 +0200
> Nicolas Martin <nicolas0martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Problem is, I don't see yet a solution to exit from this pitfall, need
> > to think it over.
>
> Ok.
>

> > > ADF: Working until 600 DPI, i tried it with 1200 DPI and i just got
> > > a "Error during read: Error during device I/O". Error and the
> > > scanner stuck with a "Processing..." message until Power off/on.
> > > (I know, max ADF resolution is 600 DPI)
> >
> > Could you take a log of this 1200 dpi sequence, normally, even if an
> > error arises, the scan sequence should be fulfilled until the end, so
> > maybe there's something else wrong here.
> >
> > In the meantime, I can add a simple a test for this model, to limit
> > ADF scan to 600 dpi.
>
> Good idea.
>
> Here the log:
> http://files.pannek.de/sane/1200dpi.zip
>
> If you need a (big) log from an successful 600 dpi scan:
> http://files.pannek.de/sane/600dpi.zip

The log show clearly that although the 1200 dpi parameter is accepted by
the scanner, the "ready" bit never comes up (like in the 600 dpi scan),
and the scan fails after the 60s timeout.

I've just added some lines to force max scan when using ADF to 600 dpi,
even if higher resolution is selected in the frontend.
To be tested.

> > is not executed. I will propose a fix for that to be tested.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Point is, I did not have yet any windows usb snoops for those
> > particular cases, to confirm how the Canon driver behaves in those
> > error situations.
>
> Can i help somehow?
>
> I have a Wireshark-log while running Windows in a VM using Canon
> Scangear.
> There is a info box while scanning without a document in the feeder and
> i clicked two times "OK" (without a document in it):
> http://files.pannek.de/sane/traffic.zip

Strange, this Wireshark log show the Pixma protocol dialog is very
short, as in the pixma backend.
Unless something else is requested by the frontend, so could you get a
scanimage log in the same situation, with ADF empty, so that I can
compare both logs.

Nicolas