[sane-devel] genius colorpage vivid4x

Antonio Kanaan kanaan at fsc.ufsc.br
Thu Jun 17 17:28:00 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I had this problem in openSuSE 11.1, switched to ubuntu 10.04, same problem.

On my genius colorpage vivid4x I first tried scanning :

hal:~/personal> sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0458, product=0x201b [600DPI USB Scanner],
chip=GT-6816) at libusb:007:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
hal:~/personal> scanimage -L
device `gt68xx:libusb:007:002' is a Genius Colorpage Vivid4x flatbed scanner
hal:~/personal> sane
saned             sane-find-scanner
hal:~/personal> sane
saned             sane-find-scanner
hal:~/personal> sudo apt-get install xsane
[sudo] password for kanaan:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libdirac-encoder0 libopenjpeg2 libfaad2
  xsane-common
Suggested packages:
  xsane-doc hylafax-client mgetty-fax gv gocr
  xsane xsane-common
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,087kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,174kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://ubuntu.wikimedia.org/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe
xsane-common 0.996-2ubuntu3 [748kB]
Get:2 http://ubuntu.wikimedia.org/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe xsane
0.996-2ubuntu3 [339kB]
Fetched 1,087kB in 10s (100kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package xsane-common.
(Reading database ... 226990 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xsane-common (from .../xsane-common_0.996-2ubuntu3_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xsane.
Unpacking xsane (from .../xsane_0.996-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Setting up xsane-common (0.996-2ubuntu3) ...
Setting up xsane (0.996-2ubuntu3) ...

Processing triggers for menu ...
hal:~/personal> rehash
hal:~/personal> xsane
[gt68xx] Couldn't open firmware file
(`/usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ccd548.fw'): No such file or directory

Then I downloaded the file ccd548.fw and I do not get the

[gt68xx] Couldn't open firmware file
(`/usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ccd548.fw'): No such file or directory

message anymore.  However xsane still displays:

Failed to open device `gt68xx:libusb:007:012`: Invalid argument

I have had this scanner working with sane in the past, any clues as to
what I am missing?

thanks,

Antonio