[sane-devel] Hardware compatibility ongoing problem and what can be done about it

augustin sane at overshoot.tv
Fri Jun 18 05:07:13 UTC 2010

Hello Allan,

Thank you very much for your email.

Together with yours, I have received 3 useful comments after my second email
to the list.

First, Colin helped me solve this ticket:
http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/95

Then Joe reminded me of the Linux Foundation and the Linux Standard Base,
information that I added to the wiki. It made me wonder how much the LF is
involved in lobbying the manufacturers to open their specs. If you or anyone
knows, you can follow up in this ticket:
http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/111

The money quote from your email is this:

On Monday 14 June 2010 11:01:16 pm you wrote:
> We have all been dealing with hardware manufacturers
> for quite some time, and might be a bit tired of talking to a brick
> wall :)

Precisely! And rest assured that we are definitely on the same team.

I believe in wallet advocacy: if we only had a reliable and objective
assessment of the linux-(un)friendliness of hardware manufacturers, Linux
users across the globe could be encouraged to buy from certain manufacturers
rather than from others. To be effective, this should be a concerted effort
based on facts rather than hearsay (the kind that is spread in forums and user
mailing lists by people who don't really know).

I can work with you on this. But I cannot do it alone. I need the information
that only you (and all the driver developers) can provide. This was precisely
the point I was trying to make in my earlier email:

First, we develop a set of criteria to measure manufacturers linux-
friendliness. Please follow up here (no registration required though comments
by anonymous users are moderated for spam):
http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/99

Then we measure the performance of manufacturers *based on information
provided by people such as yourselves* and establish a fact-based chart.
If this chart is trustworthy, objective and reliable, it can spread across the
Linux user community. Maybe some manufacturers will start to pay attention
then.

I can do all I can: organize the information in the wiki, coordinate with
driver developers for other types of hardware, etc. But I need the information
to begin with that only you can provide.

You may forward this email to the list, as I am no longer subscribed.
If the members of the SANE list are willing to have an open discussion about
this, I can subscribe again to facilitate the dialogue and we can discuss it
further.

Know that you are not the only ones banging their heads on a brick wall :) We
are in it together.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated.

Blessings,

Augustin.

--
Friends: http://www.reuniting.info/ http://activistsolutions.org/