[sane-devel] MP210 or PIXMA MP210 under Slackware13.0 not working...

Nicolas Martin nicolas0martin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:39:45 UTC 2010

Le samedi 06 mars 2010 à 18:04 -0800, Bradley D. Thornton a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas :)
>
> Nicolas Martin wrote:
> > AFAIK, the Pixma protocol, which MP210 uses, is different from the one
> > implemented in canon630u, and I guess MP210 won't be able to work with
> > that backend.
>
> Yes you are correct there ;)  Although it does pick up the scanner in
> the canon630u.conf file.

And MP210 should not be declared here, so this is maybe an issue due to
Slackware, as Sane packages do not ship with that.

> > FYI, the pixma.conf file is only for network Pixma models, that use
> > Canon's bjnp network protocol, and you can set in this file the scanner
> > ip, if it does not get autodetected by the pixma backend.
> >

> So, which conf file holds the data for the device? i.e.,
> 'pisma:04A91721_F32369'

The usb pids are hold directly in the pixma backend, this is because the
Canon Pixma protocol exists in fact in about 10 different flavours, the
pixma backend supports currently 67 different Pixma/I-Sensys/ImageClass
models, and different code is used according to the model group. Each
time a new model is added, a check must be done to see which Pixma
protocol is involved. So adding a new model requires a recompilation of
the backend.

Nicolas