[sane-devel] Description file, Epson, and wildcards

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Thu Mar 25 02:08:00 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:29:13 +0900
> Alesh Slovak <alesh.slovak at avasys.jp> wrote:
>
>> There is one hitch I can think of with this. We use a non-free component to
>> support the network protocol as well. Most, if not all of these scanners are
>> fully supported by epson2, including network scanning, as far as I know. So
>> depending on what exactly you are searching for you might be inadvertently
>> dropping these scanners as well.
>
>  the script has a built-in patch function to handle particular
>  entries but I'll have to check for any race.

I was looking at the SANE supported device list and happened to notice that this
was indeed happening. The Stylus SX610FW Series and related scanners do not
actually require a proprietary plugin. I think your script is simply picking up
the fact that the network support for the epkowa backend for these devices (and
others) is provided via a proprietary plugin. All such devices likely work fine
with epson2, including network support.

Matching on "requires DFSG non-free" should do the trick.

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp