[sane-devel] open driver for Epson Perfection V100 Photo?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 13:41:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
> 2010/3/26 m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com>:
>> Try getting a usb sniffer log of a low resolution small scan, using this tool:
>>
>> http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/
>>
>> Then we can see if it looks anything like the epjitsu machines.
>>

> While Stéphane captures de usb snoop,...
>
> I think you said once tha these cheap scanners usually have very dumb
> harware and rely a lot on software, would this make the driver easier
> or harder to develop?

Much harder. The worst are stupid register-based chips: timing
sensitive, and need the host driver to perform lots of additional
tasks, like calibration, and motor slope calculations, etc. These
'proprietary' epson machines are not quite that bad, but they do send
some strange data from the sensors. For instance, The Fujitsu S300
always scans in a truly scrambled triplex, with more than 1/3 of the
data being garbage. But, I dont have to tell it how to move the motor
:)

allan